[78-L] Gene Autry Okeh set, Estate Sale protocol...

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Mon Aug 5 12:03:12 PDT 2013

Greetings from FixitLand!

Glenn Longwell wrote:

> ...I picked up a small collection today that had the Gene Autry Okeh K-1 Cowboy Songs set.  There was also several more Gene Autry Okehs in 10" binders.  Since the set doesn't say which records belong in it, which 4 catalog numbers originally came with this set?  ...

Wow...this is something of a stumper. I've not seen a CBS-era Columbia or OKeh album set that didn't specify the included records on the inside-front-cover liner sheet, nor album records that didn't specify the album number and name on the labels. I know OKeh Set K-2 "Theme Songs" is 6631/4, but browsing through the purple-OKeh Abrams file I don't see four Autry records in a row. And I could swear I've seen one of the Autry-set records, too.

I found a listing of records *supposedly* belonging to Set K-1 (from a listing on CollectorsFrenzy.com):

"The Last Round-up", "Way Out West In Texas", "My Old Saddle Pal", "I'll Go Riding Down That Texas Trail", "The Old Trail", "Ride Tenderfoot Ride", "Old Buckaroo Goodbye", & "Rhythm of the Range"

These are all Vocalion originals, and I find them in the Abrams file only as their Vocalion issues, which must mean that K-1 escaped Steve Abrams' attention. Praguefrank's online Autry discog doesn't list any OKeh issues of these, much less in the vicinity of the 6630s as with Set K-2. (Of course, repressings of the Vocalions *did* come out on OKeh, but I'm unaware of an instance where CBS ever issued an album using existing older catalog numbers, as did Decca.) I'll need to check at home; will do so when I can get back to the rekkud room.

Take care,

—
Joe
—
Cats: I've got 'em right where they want me.