[78-L] Scriabin

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Sat Jul 20 19:53:55 PDT 2013

I wondered on the list a few days ago if the Scriabin "Poem of Ecstacy" and "Poem of Fire" may have been recorded from a continuous performance.  I've been reading the book "Recording the Thirties" and have just read that that was indeed the case.  Dave Lennick, of course, guessed accurately that it was recorded for the RCA 33 1/3 rpm Transcription recordings in 1932.  Now I'm curious to know if it was recorded concurrently with the Transcription or dubbed from the Transcription, (the sound isn't the greatest even for 1932).  David Hall, who couldn't get his head around Scriabin anyway, also commented about the poor sound.

db