[78-L] Peter Appleyard obit

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jul 18 13:19:45 PDT 2013

On 18/07/13 20:21, David Lennick wrote:
> http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/2013/07/18/peter_appleyard_canadian_jazz_musician_dead_at_85_reports.html
>
> He may have made 78s, possibly while with Felix Mendelssohn's group. I'm not
> aware of any he might have made in Canada.
>
> dl

I assume this is a 78 session, but is he present? Appleyard was on the
first LP I bought: Calvin Jackson on Columbia (Philips) with that great
version of "Love Me Or Leave Me". It includes a drum ensemble which
predates Art Blakey's "Drum Suite".

Calvin Jackson Trio:
Calvin Jackson (p) prob Peter Appleyard (vib) unknown (b) and (d).
Toronto, c. January 1953
     The lady is a tramp    Vic (Can)56-0059
     Makin' whoopee       -
     Yes, sir ! That's my baby        (Can)56-0060
     It's easy to remember       -

      Julian Vein