[78-L] Labels

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Sat Jul 13 13:13:24 PDT 2013

Greetings from FixitLand!

David Burnham wrote:

> We had a discussion a while ago about records that have different label styles on each side.  I'm holding a Tommy Dorsey record, Victor 25523, with a "Swing Classic" label on Side A, "Song of India", and a regular Canadian Batwing label on Side B, "Marie".  Is this a curiosity?

Not really. All copies I've ever seen of Victor 25523 (US Scroll, Rings, monogram, and Canadian batwing) have sported a Swing Classic label on "Song Of India" and a standard one for "Marie." I heard one report of a SC label on "Marie" but have never seen such an animal. Later copies do have a corrected personnel on "Song Of India" (noting Bunny Berigan's presence) but that's the only real difference.

Victor 27887 has Dorsey's "Somewhere A Voice Is Calling" (non-SC) backed by "Well, Git It!" (SC). The two 12-inch 1941 TD issues (36396, 36399) also have non-SC-backed-by-SC labeling. Another TD release that comes to mind is 20-1715, "There You Go" (1945 vocal side, non-SC) backed by the first reissue of "Boogie Woogie" (SC).

Take care,

—
Joe
—
“When I play with my cat, who knows whether she is not amusing herself with me more than I with her.”—Michel de Montaigne