[78-L] World Program Service transcription info wanted

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Sat Jul 13 00:54:13 PDT 2013

On 7/12/2013 6:16 PM, Thomas Stern wrote:
> Does anyone have information regarding the SOURCE of recordings issued on the
> WORLD BROADCASTING SYSTEM - WORLD PROGRAM SERVICE discs???

I don't know if this is helpful, but in March 1934, the company said
their studios were in New York City (50 W. 57th Street).   But they were
at a different New York address by September 1936:  one of their ads in
mid-September mentioned new releases by Harriet Grey, and some music by
Brahms and Beethoven recorded by Leo Erdody and the World Symphony
Orchestra.  The ad noted that all recordings were made at "Transcription
Headquarters, by the Western Electric method of Wide Range Vertical
Recording..."  Another ad noted that this method was developed in
cooperation with Bell Labs.  The 1936 ads said that Transcription
Headquarters was also in New York, at 711 Fifth Avenue.  However,
evidently the company had expanded: another ad said that in addition to
New York City, World Broadcasting now had a recording studio at 400 W.
Madison Street in Chicago, and another at 555 South Flower Street in Los
Angeles. And in 1936, the company claimed 150 radio stations were using
their recordings.  I do not see any mention of Ed McCurdy, although by
1940, the ads were talking about Harry Horlick and other radio stars who
were recording for World.