[78-L] Length of jazz recordings

Rodger Holtin rjh334578 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 11 19:19:23 PDT 2013

Perhaps Shaw was right about Eddie on both fronts.  I am hard pressed to recall any Eddie Condon solos that stand out in any way.  "It's not how long you make it, it's how you make it long," said the old smokes TV ad.

There is also a quote/paraphrase from Earl Hines somewhere in The Swing Era (Time-Life book & record set, 1971) that the three minute limit always stimulated him to give it his best shot without wasting time.  I think in that same set there was also a reference to that topic in a discussion of the rise of the LP and some/one of the older guys said much the same.

Rodger

For Best Results use Victor Needles.

.