[78-L] Joe Mares, New Orleans

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jul 11 13:53:15 PDT 2013

On 11/07/13 21:45, Michael Biel wrote:
> One of the records I got at the Jazz Bash was Keynote K-624 by Irving
> Fazola and his orch of "Clarinet Marmalade"/"Sweet Lorraine", noted on
> the label as Recorded in New Orleans Oct 24, 1945.  One side has a
> square half inch yellow sticker with green print saying "JOE MARES  New
> Orleans".  Was he a dealer, store owner, or just a collector? Anybody
> else have a record with his sticker?
>
> Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com
> Presumably the MC on this session:

  Dixieland All Stars
Benefit Night for Monk Hazel:
Tony Almerico, George Girard, Sharkey Bonano, Mike Lala (tp) Jack
Delaney, Santo Pecora, Joe Rotis (tb) Pete Fountain, Raymond Burke,
Harry Shields (cl) Roy Zimmerman (p) Frank Fredrico (bj,g) Joe Loyacano,
Chink Martin (b) Johnny Castaing, Johnny Edwards (d) unknown female vcl,
Joe Mares (mc) collective pers.
Live "Parisian Room", New Orleans, LA, May 7, 1956
     With you where you are    GHB BCD-142/143 [CD]
     South Rampart Street parade       -
     Tin roof blues       -
     Bugle call rag       -
     Basin Street blues       -
     Bill Bailey       -
     All of me       -
     Farewell blues       -
     Indiana       -
     Sister Kate       -
     Some of these days       -
     Struttin' with some barbeque       -
     Panama rag       -
     Milenberg joys       -
     Woodchopper's ball       -
     High society       -
     Blues       -
     Dinah       -
     Shine       -
     That's a plenty       -
     None of my jelly roll       -
     When the saints go marching in       -
     No place like home       -
Note: GHB BCD-142/143 [CD] is a 2 CD set.

      Julian Vein