[78-L] Lenny

Ray Kilcoyne kil at roadrunner.com
Tue Jul 9 13:11:07 PDT 2013

Here's a short list I compiled years ago.  I know nothing about classical music.  Corrections appreciated.

ON THE ISLE OF MAY - Connee Boswell - from Tchaikovsky's String Quartet in D Major Andante Cantabile Movement
MOON LOVE - Glenn Miller and Ray Eberle - Tchaikovsky's Fifth Symphony, 2nd Movement
OUR LOVE - Jimmy Dorsey & Bob Eberly - from Tchaikovsky's Romeo & Juliette
THE THINGS I LOVE - Jimmy Dorsey & Bob Eberly or Jan Savitt or Gene Krupa - from Tchaikovsky's Melody Opus 42 #3
TONIGHT WE LOVE - Freddy Martin & Clyde Rogers - from Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto in B Flat
RayK

From: Dan Van Landingham
Your discussion on borrowed-stolen music themes reminds me of a 1941
Bluebird Jan Savitt 78 I have on a 33 called "The Things I Love" with a
vocal by Allan DeWitt.I first heard it in the late '70s and didn't give it
much thought until I heard the melody in a string quartet piece years
later.I believe it was by Tschaikovsky.I've heard several Tschaikovsky
themes show up in so called "pop music" recordings of the '40s.I have bad
version of Tschaikovsky's "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fair" by Larry Clinton
done under the title of "Bounce of the Candy Fairy".I can't remember the
title of the other side,but it was a good tune and if it weren't for that,I
would have broken the record just out of respect for Tschaik-
kovsky.Les Brown's "Everybody's Making Money But Tschaikowsky" was another
matter:I saw that one by Spike Jones and his City Slickers in a junk store
but never bought it.I can't remember if it was on Victor or Bluebird.There
was a nice,dancable version of his "Pathetique" symphony I had on OKeh,but I
don't remember if it was Les Brown or from other band like Frankie
Masters.It was a nice record.I once tried to write a set of lyrics to
it:they went something like,"Forever,I will give my love to you...."That was
some 30+ years ago for a woman I was madly in lust over.She was HOT.