[78-L] Slightly off the beaten pathŠ.

Thomas Stern sternth at attglobal.net
Tue Jul 2 18:43:10 PDT 2013

 THE CONFEDERACY
Columbia SL 220
Columbia UPC:  07464 4 71232 2
Columbia Records Proudly Presents The Confederacy (Based on Music of the South During the Years 1861-65) by Richard Bales was
produced by Goddard Lieberson. Featuring the National Gallery Orchestra, Richard Bales Conductor, Cantata Choir, Lutheran Church
of the Reformation Florence Kopleff, Mezzo-Soprano: Thomas Pyle, Baritone and Reverend Edmund Jennings Lee as Narrator with essays
by Bruce Catton and Clifford Dowdey was recorded at the National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. in 1954. To Read 32 pages which
include the Introduction, The Confederate Legend, Lee at Appomattox and The Songs and their Origins plus numerous pictures
courtesy of National Archives Record Group III and the Library of Congress. To Hear 10 songs from a 33 1/3 long playing record
which includes, 1-General Lee's Grand March, 2-All Quiet Along The Potomac Tonight, 3-The Bonnie Blue Flag, 4-Lorena, 5-The Yellow
Rose of Texas, 6-Somebody's Darling, 7-We All Went Down To New Orleans For Bales, 9-General Robert E.Lee's Farewell Order To The
Army Of Nothern Virginia, Appomattox Courthouse, Virginia, April 10, 1865, The Conquered Banner and 10-Dixie Land with Quickstep
and Interlude: Year of Jubilo.

allmusic:  ?????????
originally released in 1964, as part of the activities commemorating the 100th anniversary of the Civil War.
state-of-the-art mono sound
reissued on CD by Sony Music Special Products in a handsome box, with its artwork and booklet intact in 1991, in the wake of the
success of Ken Burns' Civil War series on PBS

 THE UNION
I see various catalog numbers and dates for this album
COLUMBIA  SL243 SL 244 1958
         DL 244 (1964)
   1991 (probably CD reissue)
  possibly keying errors, or were they reissued with different prefix, or by CSP ????

THE REVOLUTION
Columbia Legacy LL/LS 1001    1960
The American Revolution
Interpretative essays by Arthur M. Schlesinger, Sr., Marshall B. Davidson, Robert Graves, Larry Rivers, and the composer, with
introduction by Goddard Lieberson (58 p. illus., ports., facsims., maps) bound in container