[78-L] Question about a 1930 Grey Gull item

Guyotsmith at aol.com Guyotsmith at aol.com
Tue Jul 2 11:33:47 PDT 2013

A few years  ago, a prolific “YouTube” poster uploaded an Australian 1930
pressing, Bellbird  132, of “Cryin’ for the Carolines,” by Frank Luther.
Having spent a lifetime  surrounded by Frank’s recordings, I was nonplused to
see this one – previously  unknown to me - turn up. With the understanding
that Bellbird drew from Grey  Gull, I searched vainly for a U. S. issue of
this song by Frank Luther, on any  of the Grey Gull-related labels, but to no
avail.
Recently, I  came upon a Grey Gull numerical listing which includes this
item:
2527 JOHN  CALHOUN  Cryin’ for the  Carolines/HAL EVANS Nobody’s Kid.
I have  never seen this record, nor a Radiex equivalent. Does anyone have
access to a  copy? If so, is John Calhoun actually Frank Luther, and is this
the source of  the Bellbird issue?
The Grey  Gull labels had such a field day with pseudonyms that I have no
idea as to the  accurate artist credits on many of the later releases. Frank
Luther’s facility  for disguising his voice and moving from one genre to
another makes such  identification all the more challenging. Nevertheless, the
Bellbird issue of  “Cryin’ for the Carolines” came from somewhere – and
probably Grey Gull – so any  help in tracking down a copy of Grey Gull 2527
would be much appreciated.
Jonathan