[78-L] Continental 78rpm - classical

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Jul 1 20:42:35 PDT 2013

There are all sorts of vagaries on this site, but the note about Continental
jazz states that Gabor founded the Continental label in 1942. Do we know this
to be fact? Elsewhere, in the article about Laszlo Halasz, we're told that
Halasz and Gabor made the Bartok recordings "in 1941 or 1942". I'd dated the
Bartok discs to 1941 but I'm not sure exactly how, other than by comparison
with other Reeves matrix numbers (I think). Could Gabor have wanted to get
Bartok on record before he even had a label on which to issue him?