[78-L] Winged RCA tonearm was [Got one of these in your attic?)

George Epple gkepple at msn.com
Mon Jun 24 21:37:18 PDT 2013

 Many of you do not know me... but I have restored many early
magnetic pickups over the past 40 (wow! I'm getting old) years. The RCA "tonearm wings" as we're now describing them, were an attempt to extend
frequency response and reduce distortion in the RE models. Having rebuilt many pickups from
these models, the reproducer is basically the very same that accompany
the slightly earlier, non-winged tonearms. Some of the pickups
manufactured during this era however do contain a mechanical "filter"
that helps reduce surface noise... but the pickup construction is the
same otherwise. The tonearm wings were designed to make the tonearm
appear more fixed in regards to the motions imparted into the stylus and
 pickup armature by adding mass. There are weights attached to the underside of the "wing tips". Less energy is lost going down the
tonearm and more directed into the pickup armature assembly. I do
believe that this is the reason for the "winged" tonearm. I suspect that
 there's a patent describing the claim.
  I enjoy this group very much!!!  Going back to lurk mode....

George Epple