[78-L] B. A. Rolfe, so far

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Tue Jun 18 20:02:46 PDT 2013

Since I asked about Rolfe, I thought I should let everyone know what Kirk B.
and I have determined so far.   Donna Halper provided me with a Boston
Herald obit indicating that Rolfe lived in Mansfield MA and died at
Pondville Hospital, which was mainly for cancer patients.  This hospital was
located in Norfolk, MA but very close to the border with Walpole, and often
described as being in Walpole, hence teh information that he died in Walpole
and our initial, erroneous belief that he was buried in Walpole, MA.   The
obit indicated that Rolfe was buried in Spring Brook Cemetery in Mansfield.
However, I could not find Rolf on list of those interred there.  After a
trip to the Mansfield town hall and a pleasant visit with a helpful woman in
the town clerk's office, Kirk and I learned his official casus of death, and
that he lived at 141 S. Main Street.  We now have a picture of the house at
that address.  The death record confirmed that he is buried in Spring Brook
and that his wife's name was Edna Britton Rolfe.  A little internet
searching turned up Edna Britton as an actress in a couple of silent movies.
Rolfe was the producer of one of them, a Harry Houdini movie.   She and
Rolfe both were buried out of Sherman Funeral Home.  I plan on visiting them
to see if they can tell me where in Spring Brook the Rolfes are buried
because their name are not listed as plot owners, which I was told must be
known before one can look up who is buried in a particular plot.   The quest
continues.

Ron L