[78-L] International transactions

Malcolm - Venerable Music malcolm at venerablemusic.com
Sun Jun 16 15:07:33 PDT 2013

Hi Cary -

You're statements are absolutely correct! Therefore if you are going to be
an effective seller on ebay (and keep your sanity), you need to consent to
those simple truths.
First, you should never expect the buyer to jump through any hoops for
insurance purposes. The only thing you can really legitimately ask them to
do is to return the item. Even then you risk creating ill feelings with the
buyer as they will not want to pay to return items that they were never able
to actually use.
Second, an insurance purchase made from the US Postal Service is rarely ever
worth the price or effort, unless the package is traceable and lost. In most
cases you will work harder for that refund especially when you consider both
the time and effort you will spend.

With these truths, as sellers, we need to look at the other options of which
there are not many.

First, if you must purchase insurance, you should do it with another
service. There are at least 3-4 different services that specialize in
insuring items through ebay. Even though I have never used these services
myself, I have heard they work much better than what is offered through the
postal service. I would make sure to ask many questions though, because
you'll have to check the process against the first truth which is not to
expect the buyer to really jump through any hoops other than sending you the
item back (which they must also do to get a refund from paypal).
Second, is the solution that feel is unreasonable. I agree that in order to
make this work on Ebay, you pretty much have to break their shipping rules
(which comes down to their own short sighted policies - sellers always come
second to the buyers), but over time it does work.
It doesn't have to just be .50 or $1 per package, on vmauctions, we use the
actual postal insurance scale which is as follows -

Fee . . . . . . . . . . Insurance Coverage
$2.45 ................ $50.01 to $100
$3.05 ................ $100.01 to $200
$5.10 ................ $200.01 to $300
$6.25 ................ $300.01 to $400
$7.40 ................ $400.01 to $500
$8.55 ................ $500.01 to $600

If you pack records correctly (which I know you do), you should know that
having problems with records arriving safely is a rare occurrence. You may
ship 100 (or more) packages over time without incident, and then another 100
after the incident. Trust me, over time (that is the key), it will work out
in your favor! And believe me, you'll feel so much better when you can tell
a buyer who is upset over receiving damaged merchandise to keep the record
and immediately offer a full refund - problem over!

Best of Luck!
Malcolm

Venerable Music - http://www.venerablemusic.com
Venerable Radio - http://www.venerableradio.com