[78-L] Happy Court Day to You

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Jun 15 13:21:30 PDT 2013

From: Clifford Bolling <78records at cdbpdx.com>
> I have posted thousands of recordings from 78 rpm records to YT and about 2/3
> of them have copyright holders in one form or another.  Copyrights can be for lyrics,
> composition, for a specific recording or arrangement, and probably more.

> Some of my copyright 'infringements' are for recordings over 100 years old - early
> recordings (1905-1906) by Caruso come to mind with copyright owners like IODA, SMG,
> ADSHARE MG, PIRAMES INTERNATIONAL.  I've been thinking of compiling a list of the
> copyright holders for some of these very early recordings.

> Did you know there is a copyright holding group called 'MUSIC RIGHTS COLLECTORS SOCIETY'?
> CDB

Most if not all of these claims are fake.  They are distributors of
European P.D. CDs and they claim that anything they have on their CDs --
which they got from P.D. sources -- now belong to them.. They have even
told YouTube that they own the sound of birds that might be in the
background of a video you shot outdoors because they have a bird sound
on one of their CDs.  It's a scam.  The problem is that youtube is
working on autopiolet and does not want to bother with checking out
these claims.  One guy even reported in that one of these companies
claims to own every Jimmie Rodgers record because they have in their
catalog a CD from an Australian radio personality who put one Jimmie
track on a nostalgia CD of his.  They just see the artist name andput in
a claim automatically.  If it pays off it pays off.  If it doesn't they
have enough that do pay off.  They are raking in millions, which means
they have unlimited resources for lawyers.  It's called COPYFRAUD and
according to wiki the US law does not have any penalties for false
assertion of copyright but other countries like Australia do.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/02/26/2141246/youtube-identifies-birdsong-as-copyrighted-music

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com
________________________________

On 14/06/2013, Cary Ginell wrote: >I don't think restaurants have any
clue that the song is copyrighted, >and Warner/Chappell is in such a
disarray now that they can't go after >every restaurant that decides to
sing it. I doubt very much that >restaurants are waving the red flag at
W/C, daring them to charge. >It's just part of the growing ignorance of
copyright law in the >entertainment world. There are tens of thousands
of young composers >who are sampling existing, copyrighted compositions
without getting >permission, and when they are asked about it, they get
huffy and say >it is their First Amendment right to use it, claiming
"free speech." >99% of Americans have no concept of what copyright means
- literally, >"the right to copy." If the H.B. case goes to court and
the court >determines that all of the money W/C has been charging people
for a >public domain song for the last 78 years has been a fraud, can
you >imagine the implications? Cary Ginell
 >When did the composer and lyricist die? How long after the author's
death does copyright persist in the US
nowadays ? I find it hard to believe that this song, as we know it, was
composed by
somebody who died less than 75 years ago. Is anyone claiming copyright
on Stephen Foster's songs ? Regards
Don Cox doncox at enterprise.net