[78-L] announcements on Indian 78s

Birgit Lotz Verlag Birgit-Lotz-Verlag at gmx.de
Sun Jun 2 02:48:33 PDT 2013

An American friend wrote from India with this question:

"I have a question for you. I have been debating with people about the
announcements at the end of many early Indian records ("My name is
Gauhar Jaan", etc...). The standard story is that they were there so
that the correct labels got
on to the correct record. But this seems strange to me---why put that
announcement at the end? Why assume a German record pressing plant would
understand an announcement in English (with an Indian accent no less).
Also, in
other recordings from this time made by Gaisberg (such as immediately
after India in Japan) do not contain such announcements.
Announcements in the West or on Arabic records are all at the beginning,
which makes sense...as an introduction.
anyway, just wandering if you had thought about this or seen anything in
all of your research."

Comments anyone? Thanks
Rainer

--