[78-L] Columbia flag label

Royal Pemberton ampex354 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 06:53:21 PDT 2013

I've seen the odd A series item on the Viva-Tonal label (sans Viva-Tonal
bits of course).  I don't know if 328-D was the first electric Columbia to
hit the shops or which Victor was the first, as far as major label
electricals.  At least these were with Western Electric equipment capable
of decent fidelity....Orlando Marsh's makeshift studio and his Autograph
records are generally the first electrical recordings that were sold,
although his equipment must have been made from telephone parts given the
frequency range and sound quality the early electricals he made have.

AFAIK the absolute first electrical sides anywhere are those recorded by
Merriman and Guest at the Burial of the Unknown Warrior at Westminster
Abbey in 1921; these were experimental recordings later released by UK
Columbia.