[78-L] Columbia flag label

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Sat Jun 1 00:21:44 PDT 2013

I have a Columbia 10 inch record with a copper coloured "flag label", number 348-D, one side is "A Plainman's Song" and the other is "Discovery".  Both sides are are performed by "Associated Glee Clubs of America".  The label goes on to say, "Recorded at their performance at Metropolitan Opera House, N.Y."

I've only seen this label used on acoustic records but this sounds to me like it must be an electrical recording.  Nowhere on the label is there any mention of it being an electrical recording, however there is a "W" in a circle in the dead wax.  In all the copyright information at the bottom of the label, the last date mentioned is 1922.  Was this label used at the beginning of the electrical era or for experimental electrical recordings?

db