[78-L] Josef Rheinberger

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Tue May 28 13:23:31 PDT 2013

Many thanks to all of you for the response to my Rheinberger query.  It appears that what I have is the first record of a three record set on purple Brunswick.  It is now clear why David Hall never listed it because it was long out of print before Hall wrote his first "Record Book";  but it is still unclear why WERM didn't mention it or anything else by Rheinberger before the 2nd supplement.  I wondered if it was perhaps for some polictical reason - as I recall, David Hall often brought up Nazi connections when referring to Furtwangler, Mengleberg or R. Strauss and gave their recordings less than glowing reviews, (although strangely he revered Weingartner who David Lewis put down for his alleged Nazi leanings).  I realize they were politically sensitive times as were the '20s when Karl Muck was shamed out of the U.S., but I don't know if Rheinberger's political leanings were a concern - and he was long dead by then.

db