[78-L] Unlisted

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed May 22 22:53:49 PDT 2013

The Encyclopedic Discography of Victor Recordings DOES show Stoki and
the Phila attempted this selection on March 19, 1923.  It was a 12-inch
master and no number was assigned.  This might be an important unissued
Stoki!

http://victor.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/matrix/detail/1000015908/C-Unnumbered_1923-03-19-06-Smugglers

 The issued take of The March of the Smugglers on April 30 was a 10-inch
master take -1 and there was a destroyed -2.

http://victor.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/matrix/detail/800001885/B-27902-March_of_the_smugglers

There were a whole bunch of unnumbered attempts on March 19, 1923.  They
are only indexed when you search the date because they forgot to
cross-list these unnumbered masters on the pages of the numbered
recordings, especially since they are of different sizes.

http://victor.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/date/browse/1923-03-19

You can also find the unnumbered attempts for many dates at the bottom
of the artist pages.

http://victor.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/talent/detail/28428/Stokowski_Leopold_conductor

As for the copyright situation, NO recordings, issued or not, were
copyrightable in the U.S. back then.  But as an unissued item, it
remains under common-law copyright.  Hopefully the copyright situation
will change in the next year or two as we heard at ARSC.

And, as was mentioned, this is NOT a Columbia recording, and I am
confused as to why the poster thought it was.  The listing clearly said
it was a Victor.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com