[78-L] Stamps Quartet

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Wed May 22 12:35:38 PDT 2013

Mal,
You are misinterpreting Rodger's record, as I did before you mentioned Gnt.
Rodger has red label "Stamps Quartet 100 & 200", not blue "Stamps Record 100".
I still hope it is possible to get label scans or photos of Rodger's postwar labels.
han enderman
===
You are right, I misread the "mx" when looking at a too small label image,
and thus did not see they were the same.
It appears that this Stamps Record 100 is not the same as the postwar
Stamps Quartet 100 from Texas, of which I just found a mediocre image at
http://78rpmrecord.com/labelview.cfm?firstLetter=S
and which plays When The Saints.
This also explains the quite different prewar label design.
So it is part of the Gnt personal series & a case of serendipity.

This record & titles not in Russell's CMR, but the Brunswick 27-10-1929 session
includes V.O. Stamps (recorded in Dallas, Texas !) and this is the only session
called Quartette instead of Quartet.
(he)
*****
>>> Rodger,
I ask again, are there any numbers in the runouts or under the labels
that do not appear on the labels?
I have come to believe these were recorded by Homer Rodeheaver at one of
his studios. The two numbers - 20154-A & 20154-B - that appear on the
labels are actually Gennett issue numbers, even though they were
seemingly not actually issued on Gennett. This was common within the
Gennett personal 20000 series.
Malcolm
*****