[78-L] Goofy Paramount master

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Tue May 21 15:46:10 PDT 2013

Anybody ever run into this goofy thing?

Hochschild,  Kohn & Co. 1897 - 1921 Twenty Fourth Anniversary. #901

Al Colombo's Golden Glades Orch.  Say It With Music - Fox Trot

It has a spoken introduction which sounds straight out of about
1902...noting that the record is made in honor of the 24th anniversay of
"Baltimore's Best Store."

The master in the wax says  "901-2" and Rust only notes one take of "901"
issued on Paramount and one other label.

I thought this was pretty odd that they would do a special second take for
this department store but maybe the money was right.

The flip side sounds like it was made up by Steve Allen...label credit is
"Hobart Smock and Manhattan Male Quartet" doing "Baltimore,  Our Baltimore."
Master in the wax is 900-2.   The label is #900.

An amusing oddity,  if nothing else.

Taylor