[78-L] Varsity Classical LP ID

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun May 19 06:21:41 PDT 2013

I owned Varsity lps from 1950 or '51 when I first had my own 33rpm "attachment"
(remember those things?). Unless they were reissues from Obie's early labels
(which were often dubs of Telefunken or Ultraphon 78s) or Majestic (Earl Wild,
Jan Peerce) or Sonora, they could also have been from German broadcast tapes,
which were turning up on Mercury and other labels in the late 40s. Per the
numbers scratched in your disc, this was originally Varsity 6098. The Long
Player and Schwann didn't list Varsity, so dating them gets difficult, but some
turn up in WERM.  There's a Mozart 40 on Royale 1222 by "Guthan, Berlin
Symphony" in WERM Supplement II, which means it had been issued by the end of
1952, so a German radio tape becomes a distinct possibility.

Now can I go have my morning coffee?

dl