[78-L] Google home page

David Breneman david_breneman at yahoo.com
Wed May 8 10:25:03 PDT 2013

From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>

> On 5/8/2013 12:36 PM, David Breneman wrote:
>>    From: David Lennick<dlennick at sympatico.ca>
>>
>>>  Check the Google home page today. Saul Bass's birthday, image from
>>> Anatomy of a Murder.
>>
>>  I always wondered how these guys decide what they're going to
>> "honor"
>>  in this way.  They completely ignored the anniversary of the 1962
>>  World's Fair (and all the iconic imagery that went with it), but will
>>  commemorate the 43rd anniversary of some obscure Dr. Seuss book or
>>  something.
>
> There's also a picture disc, 7-inch 33rpm of Paul Whiteman and pianist
> Sondra
> Bianca doing "Rhapsody 21". Apparently the jacket of first pressings
> said 1961 instead of 1962.

There were really a lot of records associated with the fair.
"Rhapsody 21" has to be one of the worst.  It's a trudging dirge
as I remember it.  These show up often for sale, and the vast
majority have never been opened.  Much better in the toe-tapper
category was "Meet Me in Seattle (at the Fair)" on Seafair
Records, recorded by a group listed as "Joy and the Boys."
If suffers from the same problem as Bing Crosby and the Andrews
Sisters' "Black Ball Ferry Line" - precious few words rhyme
with "Seattle".  For Bing it was "Every G-O-P and Democrat'll"
and for "Joy" is was "Meet me in Seattle, that's where I'll be
at'l."  I guess neither composer though of using "cattle",
which seems very appropriate given how they pack people in to
both fairs and ferries.