[78-L] VARIABLE MICROGRADE 78

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon May 6 20:08:40 PDT 2013

Did Columbia (pre-CBS) use what certainly looks like variable pitch on some
records in 1938, or did they just have a faulty cutter? There are definite
variations in the separation visible on some of the Orson Welles and Maurice
Evans Shakespeare recordings (possibly some others), but you'd think this would
require a dubbing source, to provide advance knowledge of when to apply it, and
their recordings were still direct-to-disc at that time.

dl