[78-L] Japanese OPUS KURA cd's - Szigeti

Thomas Stern sternth at attglobal.net
Thu May 2 11:58:20 PDT 2013

Hi Joe,
  Foldes' age is among the reasons it is obviously an error.  In his biographical memoir, Foldes
indicates his first recordings were made in the 1940's, even laments that there were no recordings
of his early performances.
  However, I wonder if anyone is familiar with this release - they credit Foldes, so I wondered if
the attribution of source could be a cover for lifting some other material, though most anything with
Szigeti is probably PD in most of the world.
  The tray card lists matrix numbers, dates and performers for all the selections.  Except for this one
track they seem correct.  I noted the BAAL SHEM recording which Szigeti and Foldes recorded in '41 - but this would be PD, so see
no reason to mask that.
  Seems like such an odd error.....
  Anyone have any opinions on the matter?
  Best wishes, Thomas.