[78-L] BLUEBIRD B-11262-A (Ain't Nothin' To It)

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Apr 26 11:21:41 PDT 2013

On 4/26/2013 2:03 PM, J. E. Knox wrote:
> Greetings from FixitLand!
>
> Clifford Bolling wrote:
>
>> Got a nice Fats Waller Bluebird record B-11262.  The A side is labeled COME AND GET IT but the song is really AIN'T NOTHIN TO IT.  Rust says this was not issued in 78 rpm format.
>>
>> How often does this happen?  How could the wrong song be pressed accidently?  Was this song considered to 'hot' to release?
>>
>> Watch and listen on YouTube:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwSMUZumpU8
>
> Existence of this mispressing is mentioned on the French RCA-Black&  White LP reissue of "Fats" stuff. Lucky you to find a copy!
>
> "Come And Get It" (PBS 061335-1) and "Ain't Nothin' To It" (PBS 061337-1) come from the same 1 July 1941 session.
>
> My copy of B-11262 plays as labeled. It probably didn't take long to catch and correct the mistake.
>
> Mispressings happen. I have a copy of Bluebird B-10531, so-labeled and marked in the wax, by Earl Hines and his Orchestra (Riff Medley/X Y Z), but the side labeled "X Y Z" actually plays Charlie Barnet's "The Right Idea" (Bluebird B-10530-B). You'd think the wax would have "B-10530 B" but no, it's marked "B-10531 B." Really strange.
>
> Take care,
>

>> Joe
>> “MMEEOOWW!!”—Douglas Fur and Kimberly Fur

I've had a couple of classic mis-pressings. One on Canadian Decca is supposed
to be the King Cole Trio's "This Will Make You Laugh" but actually is Greek
music, and an unissued master at that (per Lord). An acoustical Columbia that
should have had Jewish music played something Chinese instead, and an English
Decca red label M- series disc labelled as a Jewish medley from Soviet masters
plays two totally different sides (non-Jewish, non-Soviet but the same matrix
numbers) which I still haven't been able to identify. Another Columbia
acoustical should contain THE MIDNIGHT ATTACK by Prince's Band but actually
plays another band selection, from a much older master.