[78-L] Archie Bleyer query

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Wed Apr 24 13:09:37 PDT 2013

The two sides make for a fascinating contrast of Robertson's singing
styles...Shadows on the Swanee is a straight vocal and is really
fine...great phrasing,  one of his best.  Lazy Bones is Robertson using his
"Rastus" voice,  which I can't stand,  even in small quantities.

"Well,  look-ie heah!"

Bryan Wright is working hard on the next Aaronson CD,  for which I
contributed transfers of my nice clean Vocalions (I sent him transfers of
all the Columbias as well just in case).

What a fine band...I love the Aaronson stuff from the 20s,   but the 30s
sides are really more interesting with some great jazz solos...the Vocalions
have superb piano work by Horace Diaz,  who I think also wrote some of the
arrangements.

Taylor