[78-L] Charlie Poole reissue

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Tue Apr 23 10:03:48 PDT 2013

Poole indeed recorded for both labels - listing the group's name as the Highlanders or the Allegheny Highlanders. He was paranoid Columbia would find out about his moonlighting and didn't even pose for the group picture as the Highlanders for fear Frank Walker at Columbia would recognize him, but his fears went for naught as the records sold poorly. Columbia had refused to allow Poole to augment his group with a piano, so Poole took his talents elsewhere.

Cary Ginell