[78-L] Charlie Poole reissue

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Mon Apr 22 22:24:39 PDT 2013

On Record Store Day, I eagerly purchased the Tompkins Square 12-inch vinyl LP reissue of Charlie Poole's 1929 Paramount & Brunswick recordings. It's a fine set, with the usual excellent notes by Kinney Rorrer, who has a monopoly on anything Charlie. The only fault I can place on the record is the transfer of "May I Sleep in Your Barn Tonight Mister," which has a horrific pitch waver. I've written to Tompkins Square to see if they were aware of this - I have no idea whether it was on the disc itself or somehow got that way through the transfer (hard to believe the latter would happen with this company, which usually produces fine product).

Does anyone else have this disc?

Cary Ginell