[78-L] Web-backed HMV

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Apr 19 15:19:21 PDT 2013

Never seen one of these before! I thought the web back was unique to Victor,
but I found a single-sided HMV (with the usual Gramophone Company, Hayes)
credits, a late pressing of a 1902 Caruso side, with a modern-day run-out added
and a 20s style large label (which covers part of the run-out), and His
Master's Voice in a web pattern on the reverse. I wonder how late these were
being pressed? It's listed in my 1940 catalogue (Historical section), 52345 (O
Dolce Incanto). The label also says 78RPM, at which speed Enrico will sound
like Alfred Deller..more like 71.29.