[78-L] How to date a series of recordings from 1913/1914

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Mon Apr 15 11:52:30 PDT 2013

Greetings from FixitLand!

Eric Hollis wrote:

> Dear List:
>
> I have a series of 12" records that I would like to date. I believe that
> they were made in 1913 or 1914. I have matrix numbers, but the manufacturer
> is not listed on the label.
>
> To be most accurate, I think that the numbers below are matrix
> numbers....the number printed on the label and the number inscribed on the
> disc match. On the disc, there is an additional number, separated from the
> other number by a hyphen, which I believe to be the "take", i.e. 16532-1
>
> Is there a discography that would tell me the age, and hopefully the
> recording dates, of these discs?
>
> Matrix 16532 - 16579
>
> Matrix 16682 - 16685
>
> These are a series of recorded lectures entitled "The Photo-Drama of
> Creation"
>
> Any help would be most appreciated.

These aren't Victor records, at least...there is a matrix C-16532, from 22 September 1915, but it's the Victor Mixed Chorus singing "And The Glory Of The Lord." (Take 4 issued Victor 35499- .) And Victor matrix number 16533 is 10-inch (B-16533).

Did you see this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Photo-Drama_of_Creation

Take care,

—
Joe
—
Cats: I've got 'em right where they want me.