[78-L] Decca edits, was Re: HANS EISLER in Hollywood ?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Apr 15 07:34:57 PDT 2013

Lost Horizon has to be one..it's 4 78s, if I recall correctly. For Moby Dick,
they used two sides of a ten-inch lp.

Cast albums were also shortened for lp (Carmen Jones lost 2 sides, Song of
Norway had some passages shortened drastically, Bloomer Girl lost a couple of
half sides, Oklahoma Volume 2 never made it to lp until the 70s or 80s in a box
set).

And the Paul Whiteman Gershwin album had its sides joined for the lp, then
chopped for the 45 version. But somebody at Decca hated ambience, last notes,
trailing out..lots of chopped endings on early lp reissues.

dl