[78-L] Acoustic BSO recordings

Philip Carli Philip_Carli at pittsford.monroe.edu
Sun Apr 7 07:58:15 PDT 2013

Also, Victor used a series of "igloos", or acoustic chambers with the BSO's instrumental groups, set up in the Auditorium studio (I think this was the first time it had been used for commercially issued disc), to supposedly focus sound towards a _few_ recording horns.  Two or three horns had been used for large-group recordings for a number of years by 1917, both here and in Europe; this was the most extensive experiment this way to that date. PC