[78-L] The Waldorf-Astoria Orchestra Mystery

Philip Carli Philip_Carli at pittsford.monroe.edu
Sat Apr 6 23:13:27 PDT 2013

Players didn't specialize in the 1910s-20s as much as they do to-day.  I'm pretty sure that Knecht's players doubled between groups as needed, and were probably pretty versatile (and played in other NY groups as well when they had time).   What you did _in_ specific venues was at the discretion of the leader, the occasion, and the type of establishment.  The categorization of playing styles and propriety for specific jobs is a post-WW2 phenomenon.

On a separate but related note, look at the categorization and makeup of the groups that recorded as "Sousa's Band".  It's a similar situation.  PC