[78-L] Capitol Date Codes

Rodger Holtin rjh334578 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 6 19:05:10 PDT 2013

Capitol Date Codes

Last weekend I picked up a copy of Capitol 805 by Pete Daily’s
Dixieland Band.

Master 1505=Daily Rag; 1507=Big Bass Horn Blues.  Somebody else thoughtfully posted it on the
internet here:

http://www.discogs.com/Pete-Dailys-Dixieland-Band-Daily-Rag-Big-Bass-Horn-Blues/release/3080437

Had I known to look for it instead of finding it in a pile,
I could have saved myself 99¢.  C’est la
vie, but I’ve certainly enjoyed it, so it was worth it.  And, it was such a timely find with the
recent discussion of Pete Kelly’s Blues.

I have two questions about this disc; one mechanical, one
musical.

The mechanical question: Ty’s site shows recording date of
October 19, 1945 for both sides, close matrices 1505 and 1507, so seems
reasonable enough.  At the 12noon
position in the wax on 1505 is imprinted 1249 and same place on 1507 is imprinted
150.  I have enough Capitols of that age
to recognize that as some kind of date code; ostensibly December 1949 and
January 1950, respectively.  All the
others I remember seemed to have the same date code on both sides.  So, then, this disc, with a more-or-less
known date of Oct ’49, I’m wondering what must those date codes in the wax
really signify?

Rodger

For Best Results use Victor Needles.

.