[78-L] Orphaned?

david.diehl at hensteeth.com david.diehl at hensteeth.com
Fri Apr 5 09:07:32 PDT 2013

There's a detailed look at Obie's Mikado at: http://gasdisc.oakapplepress.com/mikroyale.htm
Donald isn't real generous about quoting sources, one of which is
"Call It Bootlegging But It's Legal" - Eli Oberstein and the Coarse Art of Indie Record Production ARSC Journal 31:2 [Fall 2000] p. 282-293
Savoy issued everything from USRC of jazz interest in the 1950's. It has some metal parts and tests but no proof of ownership. Obie and Lubinski seem to have worked together on a handshake basis and swapped a lot of material.
PRI bought Rondo after Eli's death. Hudson was sold to Pickwick International, which also ended up with PRI but except for a Jack Teagarden side no Varsity material was included. I have a Franklin Mint reissue of a Jerry Wald side from Hit which credits a JKL Productions but that could simply be the initials of the collector who supplied the disc. Good luck...
 DJD
Visit the Blue Pages: the Encyclopedic Guide to 78 RPM Party Records
http://www.hensteeth.com