[78-L] 1949 RECORD CHANGER MAGAZINE Jazz Band Contest Winners

Glenn Longwell glongwell at snet.net
Thu Apr 4 05:25:06 PDT 2013

I found that I had the January 1950 copy of the Record Changer with the article about the 3 winners.  I can scan it for you if you haven't found another source for it yet.  Members of the Webfoot band are Artie Machon (drums, 55), Fred Crews (piano, 26), Joe Ingram (cornet, 26), Charlie Evans (clarinet, 39), Archie Thomas (trombone, 44), Art Wilson (banjo, 40), Joe Derdis (tuba, 35).
So George Bruns was not in this band.  However, there is a link.  Also noted in the article is that the band was recorded by Harry Fosbury, "known for having recorded the sides made by Oregon's most celebrated young jazz outfit, the Castle Jazz Band."  George Bruns was in the Castle Jazz Band so perhaps the record could still have been signed by him at some point.
Glenn