[78-L] Pete Kelly's Bruise

Rodger Holtin rjh334578 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 24 12:42:47 PDT 2013

A number of years ago I picked up a pinkish-red 78 Columbia # 40592 labelled as by Pete Kelly's Orchestrion, title tune and I Never Knew. It looks like the original owner never played it and I hadn't either until I read all this stuff here today about Pete and Jack Webb.

Interesting story turns up about it in Billboard, Oct 15, 1955, even providing the name of the guy who "played" the thing, and the recording date (the previous Wednesday).
http://books.google.com/books?id=2SMEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA16&lpg=PA16&dq=pete+kelly's+orchestrion&source=bl&ots=5xTtHCtSpa&sig=0cB-CIXciJ-yDVi6Uvp6ECRkvF8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=xktPUdrqH4S08QTxhoDADw&sqi=2&ved=0CDoQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=pete%20kelly's%20orchestrion&f=false
This link takes you to page 16, but the story actually starts as a front page item about how they thought the orchestrion was possibly making a comeback because of the movie soundtrack - and the resulting single and it's competitors - which actually seem to have come out first because Columbia omitted this from the soundtrack album!  Mercury had Jan August recreat the sound and Dot used Johnny Maddox.

Did this thing ever really make a splash?  Did Teresa Brewer or Crazy Otto ever make the proposed records?  I'm not finding any traces of it, but my internet searching skills aren't very polished, either.

And of course you can see/hear it on youtube, where somebody used a 45-DJ copy.

OK - I've heard it once, that was enough, so now my copy is for sale - cheap.

Rodger

For Best Results use Victor Needles.

.