[78-L] Monette Moore's First Disc

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 18 12:47:46 PDT 2013

Max Vreede, in an article I haven't been able to locate, so I'm quoting second hand, identifies his session as taking place in the Rodeheaver studio in Chicago:

Monette Moore, vocal, with
Clarence Johnson or Clarence Williams, piano

A-987                      Sugar Blues                                                              Paramount
12015, Harmograph 781

A-988                      Best Friend Blues                                                 Paramount 12015,
12034, Harmograph 781
Godrich and Dixon give Johnson as accompanist, whereas Vreede states it is Clarence Williams. G&D and Vreede agree to the date of January 1923,  but matrices 987-988 belong to the summer of 1922 as I have established them in my Rainbow Records discography. Also, as far I know Rody never used the letter "A" as a prefix for his matrices. Sometimes an "A" or "B" will appear at the top of a label in the wax, but these generally indicate proposed side joins and do not always jibe with the disc as issued. A superscript number always appears to the right of this figure.

Who was using an "A" prefix for matrices in the early 1920s?  Rody did record some blues artists that were issued on Paramount, but I am not convinced that this was one of them.

Uncle Dave Lewis
uncledavelewis at hotmail.com