[78-L] Wikipedia

David London jusmee123 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 14:34:41 PST 2013

On 06/03/13 06:46, Kristjan Saag wrote:

> Isn't it time we stop calling Wikipedia names?
> Today it's the most reliable source of information there is on this
> earth. Compared to available printed encyclopaedias there are less
> errors in Wikipedia, simply because errors are corrected all the time.
> It's up to you and me to do it, and if we can present good evidence for
> our corrections no one will complain.

Not only did  printed encyclopaedias contain errors, they were also so
limited in what info they actually provided.

The door to door encyclopaedia salesmen(remember them?) used to like to
challenge the home-owner to try to ask a question that the encyclopaedia
couldn't answer.  I sent them all away with 3 out of 3 missing every
time.   I just tried one of my favourites on wikipedia, and it not only
had a large article on it, it also provided me with the
corrected/updated scientific name for it !  :)