[78-L] Wikipedia (was: Bloop, Bleep Not OT, some of the examples exist on issued 78s)

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Tue Mar 5 12:46:55 PST 2013

On 2013-03-05 16:17, David Lennick wrote:
> Some inaccuracies in this (hey, it's WackyPackia) but one interesting claim,
> that the word "blooper" is derived from "blue pencil" (i.e. censorable).
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blooper
>
> dl
Isn't it time we stop calling Wikipedia names?
Today it's the most reliable source of information there is on this
earth. Compared to available printed encyclopaedias there are less
errors in Wikipedia, simply because errors are corrected all the time.
It's up to you and me to do it, and if we can present good evidence for
our corrections no one will complain.

I work with a weekly radio programme, playing laidback music from the
1920's till today, mixing things like Bix, Charles Trenet and Fleet
Foxes into a two hour music propaganda. Part of my job is to present the
tunes, the artists, the times when the recordings were made etc. I look
for details in Gelatt, Kinkle, Rust, Cliffe, Feather's Encyclopedia Of
Jazz,  All Music Guide To Jazz,various other encyclopedias and
discographies, both printed and webbased. My experience is: apart from
the above mentioned, and a few more well researched publications, most
printed material, even dissertations, are less reliable than Wikipedia. Why?

Becase most others have been written by experts who have become experts
not because of their interest in details, but because they've been able
to summarize a topic, sort the details, see what's important and not
important and publish their results. This is true expertise, and, I
admit,  this is why the least reliable articles in Wikipedia are those
that try to encompass large areas of information. Few of these articles
have been written by acknowledged experts; they are often compromises
between various enthousiasts, all  with their own agenda.
But precisely these enthusiast are the ones who have made Wikipedia
reliable in other areas. These are the nerds, the fault-finders, the
ones who sacrifice hours and days to check a date, a mx number, a birth
place, in order to get it right. Some of those are us; I'd be surprised
if no 78 list member haven't, at least once, walked in and corrected
misinormation in Wikipedia or elsewhere on the net.

And this is Wikipedia's strength: it brings togheter all those expert
wannabe's, or true experts within a restricted area, and gives them a
chance to influence general knowledge and to collaborate. Most
fault-finders are humble creatures: believers in truth in the Karl
Popper sense: something is true until it's falsified. And we all profit
from this competition. Compare this to the "good" old days when Experts
ruled and were responsible even for petty details, which could be dead
wrong but remained in the encyclopedias until the next edition twenty
years later, sometimes even longer.
So instead of calling Wikipedia names: use it to spread what you think
is true, add detailed references (what printed encyclopedias did ever do
that?) and wait for someone even wiser than you to correct you.
It's the ideal world for combattingmisinformation - so why don't we
recognize it as such?
Kristjan