[78-L] Approximating 78s age by physical characteristics

David London jusmee123 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 16:34:38 PST 2013

Now that you mention it, yes I do have some modern Columbias that aren't
laminated.  Those must be after the EMI merger you mention.

You mention vinyl 78s.  Yes, I have a couple of late Pye/Nixa 78s on
vinyl that are indeed supremely quiet.  Wish I had more.

Lastly, you mention lamination returning in the early 40s to Columbia,
and that gels with my thinking that what I call the "modern" laminated
78, starts about the time of WW2.  The date we established earlier for
lead-in grooves (1933) seems to confirm this, as all these modern 78s
have lead-in grooves, but I have some Regal-Zonophone laminated 78s,
that look modern in most respects, except they have no lead-in groove,
and these have labels that I identified as being in used in the 1930s.
This places them, mid 1930s when lead-in grooves a lamination must have
just started to go mainstream.