[78-L] Approximating 78s age by physical characteristics

David London jusmee123 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 15:59:42 PST 2013

>>> first laminated pressings
> Columbia and American were doing laminated pressings in maybe 1902 or 3.
>   The Columbia Marconi Velvet-Tone flexible plastic discs in 1907 were
> laminated. But Columbia was doing solid pressings as well until the
> introduction of the New Process in 1923.

I noticed you capitalised "New Process".  Was this the start of the
modern laminated pressings?

Amongst all the modern (post WW2?) 78s I have, labels like Columbia,
HMV, Parlophone, Philips are thicker and nicely laminated, but some
still seem to be thin unlaminated - such as red Capitol label - the
later Capitol went to purple and were laminated. (a side note - the red
label Capitols all seem to have more surface noise as well) There's
probably a whole long story here, and it may well be country/continent
specific.

Is it possible to put an approximate date on when the "modern" laminated
disc was first used mainstream?  Seems that nearly all later big band
era and jazz records I have are laminated, except a few, such as red
Columbia label from the US.  The impression I am forming is that the
main changeover to laminated was happening about or just before WW2.
The earliest I have noticed are perhaps some Regal-Zonophones from the 30's.