[78-L] Approximating 78s age by physical characteristics

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Sun Mar 3 05:10:12 PST 2013

On 3/3/2013 12:51 AM, David London wrote:
> I would like to know if it possible to guess approximately how old a 78 is
> by some of it's physical characteristics.  For example, here's a list of
> some things in common with most 78 records, that seem to change in
> correlation to age from oldest to newest.
>
> Start point:  one-sided records, no lead out groove,no paper label
>
> large paper label
> lead-out groove added
> change to small paper label
> added eccentric lead-out groove
> added lead-in groove
> first laminated pressings
>
> Is it possible to put approximate dates - even roughly like early/mid/late
> which decade, against things like this, when they were first/last used
> commonly? Are there other indicators of age that could be added to this
> list?

I can't add much to this, but it should be noted that many of the groove
additions came with the invention of automatic changers. The change in
labels had to do with the manufacturing process.

The beginning of the electrical era had something to do with some of
these changes. Before electrical recording, there were electrically
driven platters. Someone more in the know might tell us if there was a
workable changer in the acoustic era. It would have been a challenge due
to the heftiness of the arm, but people could be pretty imaginative.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr.

Technology...thoughtfully, responsibly.

Visit me at http://citroen.cappyfabrics.com