[78-L] Fake stereo

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Mar 1 12:21:35 PST 2013

Yes, I have a few.

LA FAKE-A DELLA STEREOPHOOEY DI TOSCANOONI:

VICS 1330	MOZART SYMPHONIES 39 & 40
(Quoting GBS on the back "There's nothing better in art than Mozart's best", so
Phil Carli won't want this one on double grounds)
VICS 1337	MIDSUMMER ICE CREAM/SCHUMANN RELISH SYMPHONY
VICS 1316	WAGNER: DIE WALKURE ACT 1 SCENE 3 & OTHER WAGNER
VICS 1331	VERDI: TE DEUM, VA PENSIERO, HYMN OF THE NATIONS
VICS 1321	INVITATION TO THE DANCE + BRAHMNS, PAGANINI, STRAUSS ETC
VICS 1341	MENDELSSOHN SYMPHONY #4; WEBER OVERTURES
VICS 1314	VERDI: LUISA MILLER, I LOMBARDI, RIGOLETTO EXCERPTS (PEERCE)

All other Victrolas on my shelf say "available in mono only".

Can't remember if "Legendary Performer" was in popularly demanded Grabrielophony.

As to the extra buck, Schwann shows the LME prefix as costing more, but I don't
know if that applies only to those few Toscanini items or the entire line when
reprocessed. Fake Stereo was applied a lot in the 70s when old albums were
reissued, such as the Carmen Jones soundtrack (that is HORRIBLE). By 1973 Angel
wasn't indicating fake stereo at all, as I discovered the other week when I
needed to transfer the Streetcar Named Desire/Max Steiner album. IT'S OUT OF
PHASE! It's also missing 4 minutes of music on the Steiner side, but so was
it's mono predecessor..the original 45 rpms had music that was too long for a
single twelve-inch lp side.

Varese Sarabande either did fake stereo or played wavy tapes in stereo, on some
of their Remington reissues. Ghastly in mono, not good in stereo either.

dl