[78-L] Fake stereo

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Mar 1 11:19:18 PST 2013

I have all three of the Toscanini electronic stereo LPs and they worked
out pretty well, considering the mono source.  They are not anywhere
near as convincing as the two REAL stereo recordings that Toscanini made
of course.  The description of using comb filtering is not at all
anything like what you are calling "L/R delay".  The purpose was not
time delay distinctions but tonal filtering.  These three Toscanini LPs
were done with care and do move some instruments towards the left and
some to the right, leaving a balanced overall frequency response on both
channels.  But because there are phase differentials introduced by the
comb filtering, they cannot be combined back to mono.

Most phony stereo that followed tended to just use filtering to bring
the highs to the left and the lows to the right, sometimes adding echo
and/or reverb to one or the other channels, or both with some
differences. In general most companies had several different formulas,
so what RCA used for Ted's Glenn Miller LP is different from what they
used for classical and from popular vocals like Elvis and Perry Como.
Many of RCA's in general did most of the manipulation on the right
channel and the left can be played alone with some bass boost.  The echo
is often very obvious with discretely heard repeats. Capitol's Duophonic
tended to be more sophisticated than RCA and if they used reverb it was
tight with no discernible repetitions.

You might ask WHY they did it -- they always claimed "Popular Demand".
That is a LIE that I got several producers to admit to at the 1977 ARSC.
 The companies found that mono records had been removed from the monthly
Schwann and moved over to the semi-annual Supplementary.  Doing
electronic stereo was how to get them back -- but after a while Schwann
caught on and removed them again to the renamed quarterly Schwann2.
Sooooooo, the end result is that THE COMPANIES STOPPED MARKING IF THE
RECORDS WERE STEREO, MONO, OR ELECTRONIC STEREO.

When the CDs came out, FINALLY we got some public push-back, and Wayne
Green of Digital Audio magazine especially, shamed the companies putting
out electronic stereo CDs.  This included the first Elvis CDs.  So RCA
deleted them and put them out "Restored To Original Mono".  The deleted
versions were the first bargain drilled CDs I ever saw, and I bought
them.  Although marked Electronic Stereo THEY WERE BEAUTIFUL MONO.  And
it turns out that the mono reissues went back to original tapes that
were worn out and had highs that swished in and out.  They were crummy.
The first batch they deleted had been made from very early work dubs
that were in beautiful condition, and they just marked the CDs as
electronic stereo because that is what marketing told them to do.  I
don't think the Elvis electronic stereo like I have on LP ever hit CD
nomatter how they were labelled!  And I think those three Toscanini LPs
have never come in any other form than the original very rare LME LPs.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com