[78-L] well, no one's ever mourned a critic

Philip Carli Philip_Carli at pittsford.monroe.edu
Fri Mar 1 11:13:21 PST 2013

I wouldn't dispute your own deriving entertainment from his work, but I would shy from personally extending it as a general premise.  I've ploughed through those three volumes, as until recently there's been very little easily accessible collected late-Victorian music criticism, and found considerable viciousness and pretension rather than insight; if he hadn't become a successful playwright ("there's a very good word called 'dramatist'", wrote W. S. Gilbert with some irritation when he was knighted as a "playwright", but I won't apply it to Shaw) his criticism would be buried with Louis Engel's and James Davison's, and certainly not given the unmerited weight by historians that it has been.  I'm not fond of Shaw in any medium except his 1928 Movietone short film appearance.  PC