[78-L] Fake stereo

Ryan Wolfe nextset4 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 1 10:08:59 PST 2013

Somewhere, I read an account by guy charged with what were the first fake stereo releases for RCA.

He had Toscanini stuff to to work with and described his laborious and time consuming attempts
manipulating a comb filter to try to take the mono sources and put them into a convincing and somewhat varied stereo presentation.
Then RCA wanted him to do that with all their stuff, which was going to be impractical, so he / they opted for something easier.

I've never heard a classical album that took a mono source and put it on  a true L / R delay, just the ones that use the bass in one channel  / treble in the other approach.   Including things like Toscanini.