[78-L] Van Cliburn

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Feb 28 16:27:46 PST 2013

While looking to see if someone had ever uploaded the studio recording
from the Van Cliburn Moscow Nights 78, I came across this fascinating
story of the song -- in Russian -- but you can see what the song means,
see the two composers at work, and actually see Cliburn SING the song at
4:11. There is a little bit of the original Vladimir Troshin original
recording starting at 1:43.  At 4:45 they are sleeving Melodiya LPs and
following that is a version with English lyrics, shots of a Magnacord
PT-6 tape recorder like I used many years ago, and then at 6:50 is the
wonderful Shablicha radio tower that I visited in Moscow, and a rather
primitive radio control room and turntables!

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duCEV-2yaow

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com